Monday 22 November 2010

Gear Talk - Be a Good Finder

OK, I confessed, I'm a Zig Ziglar 'fan' (it started 20 years ago) and what the heck does this has to do with my photoblog. Well, Ziggy taught me to be a good finder and here I'm finding how to unleash the peak performance from my gear. Note: You can find or unleash the potential of a cheap lens too and a very good example is the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II which is extremely cheap (SGD150) and sharp. I know because I used it. Lastly, what works for me may not work for you.

All lenses (and all people too..) have character (resolution, bokeh, CA, distortion, contrast) and its performance peak at a certain focal length and aperture, the so called sweet spot. Lastly, I make my purchase decision based on the information’s I gathered from photozone and SLRgear Review. It is not a holy grail but good references for me. Last but not least, a good lens (or gear per se) does not automatically make your picture good. Practice and techniques is even more important. Enjoy and CLICK!

Here is my summary.
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM : I use this lens for event shots and landscape photography. The sweet spot is at f/8. It is 'fairly' well performing lens ( from 17,20-28mm). For the price, IQ, weight and versatility it is one of my favourite lens.
17mm : f/8 (from centre to border). f/11 (from centre to extreme)
20mm : f/8
28mm : f/5.6 (from centre to border). f/11 (from centre to extreme)
40mm : f/5.6 (from centre to border). It is a stretch and I will try to avoid using.
(info and credit: photozone)

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM : I use this lens for candid portrait or event shots. I plan to use it for macro with extension tube for longer working distance with sensitive insects. Decent performance at all focal length with sweet spot at f/5.6. For the price, IQ, weight, versatility and IS feature I would rate this as truely my favourite lens.
(info and credit: photozone)

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM macro: I use this lens for portrait and AF macro work (paired with Raynox DCR 150). Sharp wide open. Sweet spot at f/8 and sharpeness drop at f/22.
(info and credit: photozone)

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM EX EG: I use this lens for fast head and shoulder portrait shots. So this lens is a keeper for such purpose and usable at f/2.8 with the sweet spot at f/5.6. The bokeh is better than the CZ Planar 1.4/50ZE but beware of softness at the extreme corner.
(info and credit: photozone)

CZ Mackro Planar 2/50ZE: I use this lens for static head and shoulder portrait shots, and macro work with extension tube. A MF lens and a great performer, wide open straight from f/2. Performance peaks at f/5.6. A stellar performer in terms of sharpness which outperforms the CZ Planar 1.4/50ZE at f/2. The fine focus adjustment means it is only good for really serious focussing but it may slow you down.
(info and credit: photozone)

Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 ASP: Sweet spot at f/4 but good from f/2 to f/11
(info and credit: slrgear)

Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS: The resolution is generally on a very high side, level straight from the max. aperture setting. Take note of the diffraction limit.
Sweet spot at f/4 but good from f/2.8 to f/11
(info and credit: slrgear)

Panasonic 14-140mm f/4-5.8 ASPH MEGA O.I.S. LUMIX G VARIO HD:
25mm to 70mm is best.
(info and credit: slrgear)
14mm : f/5.6
18mm : f/5.6-f/8
25mmm : f4.7-f/11
32mm : f5.0 to f/11
48mm : f/5.5 f/16
70mm :f/5.6 to f/11
99mm : f/8 - f/11
140mm : f/11 (center sharp from f/5.6 to f/f8).

Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 ASPH LUMIX G VARIO
7mm : f/4 to f/8
8mm : f/4 to f/8
9mm : f/4 to f/8
10mm : f/4 to f/8
12mm : f/4 to f/8
14mm : f/5.6 to f/8
(info and credit: slrgear)

Famous Quotes

"Stare. It's the way to educate your eyes. Pry, Listen, Eavesdrop.
Die knowing something. You are not here long." Walker Evans

"Life is about moments. Don't wait for them, create them." Anthony Robbins (peak performance guru)

"Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that things looks photographed." Garry Winogrand (photographer).

"When you photograph people in color, you are photographing their clothes. When you photograph them in black and white, you photograph their souls." Ted Grant

"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify.' HenryDavid Thoreau (philosopher and author)

"To take a photograph is to align the head, the eye and the heart. It's a way of life." Henri Cartier-Bresson ( Magnum Founder and full member since 1947)

Ring Flash for the real world ...

Ring Flash for the real world ...
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM + Canon 580EXII + Orbis Ring Flash. I just bought the Orbis Ring Flash. Call it craving or buy flu, I want...! So how does this tool helps me in my quest for photographic excellence? WoW, I must say I'm happy with the results. It is a huge and cumbersome accessory. However, it does helps you to take shadowless picture effortlessly. It just works and just make sure you have a pair of strong hands.

"In Remembrance of Nat"

"In Remembrance of Nat"
We had our partner conference at Eilat in November 2007 and here is a picture of Koby, Nathawuth and Ray. Unfortunately, Nathawuth passed away on 24 April 2010 and a reminder to us that time is fleeting and life is unpredictable. Let’s not take it for granted. Live life with love, courage and passion.

Hooked on Friendship @ Starbucks Hong Kong

Hooked on Friendship @ Starbucks Hong Kong
DMC-GF1 with Samyang 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fish-eye